Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Aggravating old injuries and self doubt.

There are times when everything is going awesome, there are times when your motivation is a bit low, then there are the times when an old injury flares up and you can do nothing but take the preventative action and rest up.

For me the issue is shin splints caused by over running or running on soft surfaces (grass) - so after my run with a workmate, the problem has come back full of horns and bitey teeth.

What it means for me is cut out all running for the next few days until it settles down - otherwise it will get so bad I can't walk.

Not happy about it - but I know what has to happen.
Tonight I've canned my workout to give my shins / calves some recovery and will pick up tomorrow with a Tabata session with my training partner.

Might have to see a doctor about the shin splints because it seems to come and go, hopefully they will be long gone before the 21st July - when I start training seriously for the city to bay -12km fun run.

As a side note I am for the first time having serious doubts about whether I will make the distance on the day - I know I can walk the distance easy enough, but the plan was to run as much as possible, at this rate I will probably be hobbling along to try and finish.

Will update again tomorrow after the workout with an injury breakdown.

No comments:

Post a Comment