Thursday, October 27, 2011

The I.F strategy

So I've been experimenting with intermittent fasting for the last month.
Initially I was a little hesitant because of all the 'chatter' about eat six small meals a day, higher food frequency restricts hunger and keeps you burning fat all day.

It has been working surprisingly well, I am quite happy doing 20 hour fasts and have found no discomfort or downsides at this stage.

I have tweaked the process a little - since I fast on martial art training days, I break my fast with cashews / craisins (Dried cranberries) about 30 minutes prior to training.

My body weight is staying reasonably stable at the 80kg mark but my body fat is dropping away significantly as is the size of my waist.

I have dropped down to a size 36 pants and even they are lose on me.
I can fit comfortably into size 34 pants, but find the few pairs I have tried the cut isn't fantastic.

As far as my nutrition goes here is a sample no fasting day:
(One note: I don't always have breakfast - most days I skip this as well)

1 x glass orange juice
Breakfast: 2 x pieces of fruit toast with butter
1 x coffee (1 sugar, but I am cutting the sugar out) with skim milk

Lunch: grilled chicken + green veg salad
Snack: Cashews and Craisins
Water intake: approx 1.5l a day

Dinner: Chicken chevapachichi, steamed veg (usually beans, brocolli, carrot)
Desert: Small container of peaches in natural juice (Occasional - I rarely have desert)

On a fasting day:
Last meal will be dinner the night before:
AM 1 x coffee with skim milk
Breakfast:
Lunch:
Snack - Pre training: Cashews and Craisins
Dinner: Corned silverside, steamed potatoes, corn, peas, carrots, white sauce

As you can see I am eating very clean and lean atm - there is still a reasonable amount of carb and fats in what I am eating - but I am trying to minimise this as much as possible.

Currently my IF is more of an alternate day fast since I fast Monday and Wednesday, but I will look at making it a little more random - eg I will decide the night before if the next day will be a fast day.

Hoping that this strategy can help me reach the 70kg goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment