Wednesday, August 4, 2010

7km run - who'd have thought?

Well tonight the running training was a 7km run from south terrace (Adelaide) to cross road and back again.

I struggled a bit with the run initially - run / walk / run etc, mostly because of my training partner having an injury and me not wanting to be a dick and run off and leave him.

Because of this we hit the back of the pack and where left quite a way behind....

On the way back however I decided that I needed to run the whole distance and really push myself - so I went off on my own, found a comfortable pace and pushed through my own pain (shins and calves full on pain).

I still did the run / walk / run again but for as short as possible and was trying to push for more running.

I caught up to the pack and passed about ten of the people in our group, through one section one of the ladies that I passed got a burst of speed up trying to compete - I did my best to ignore the competitive beasty in me and just kept my constant pace going.

After about 100m she fell back behind - I just kept running - I set a goal and got there.

Then I looked at my HRM, the distance to the finish point and realised I could make the 7km under an hour...so kept pushing hard.

Felt really good to cross the unofficial finish line under an hour - gives me hope for the 12km that I will be able to do it in reasonable time :)

Tonights pace was: 8:20 a km or 7.2kph which is reasonable - not fast enough for a sub 1 hour 20 in the 12km but two weeks ago I was able to run 5km with a fair amount of walking - now I'm up to 7 with fairly limited walking.

Happy - very happy I should say - with the progress so far, do miss my weights though.

Also read an inspiring transformation today by a member of the BB.com transformation comp - 6 weeks to get fairly lean (still chubby but massive change) by using the warrior diet / intermittent fasting.

Guess I really should read up on it some more - so I've grabbed a copy of 'The Warrior Diet' and will have a read.

Will add the HRM log to this post tomorrow as I left the flowlink at work :S

Ah well :)

No comments:

Post a Comment