Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Don't hold back.

Last nights fight training consisted of two sessions, the first cardio and conditioning, the second sparring.

The first session was good, I pushed hard, felt like I was going to die, but still did all I could.
I enjoy those sessions, where I can feel like I've worked hard.

The second session was sparring, first two rounds body only the remainder head / body.
I was paired with Cathy - fight team's first female fighter - and at first I found it really difficult to spar with her, not because she can't fight (she definately can) but because I kept getting caught on the 'Don't hit girls' mentality that I was brought up with.

The coach kept calling out not to hold back, as did Cathy - by the second and last round of sparring I wasn't holding back. I accept that she is just another fighter, another sparring partner - there for the same reasons as me, to improve and get into the ring to compete.

Gender doesn't matter, but initially I struggled with it.
Next time - not so much, the time after that - less again.

The sparring itself was really good, Cathy landed some good shots and almost bloodied my nose.
I know I landed a few good shots as well, one in particular from a hook that landed right on the jaw.
I pulled the punch at the last moment because I could see it was going to hit home, as it was it pushed her jaw sideways and a bit of spit came out.

I also worked with Scott on my technique for Jab / Cross - something I still need more work on.
One of the key things for me is trusting my reach and using body mechanics to deliver powerful punches.

Working with Scott is always good fun, because I know when I get sloppy he'll through out the focus mitt and tag me, he also knows how to push my buttons and get me all fired up.

Another good thing.
Have to say today though my body is feeling smashed - sore everywhere, some soreness in the face from where it was tenderised - thanks Cathy ;)

Overall a great night, tonight is Thai boxing a class I love, but haven't been to in a while.
Side note:
I got new protein last night, Elemental nutrition shredding matrix in hot chocolate flavour.
Mixes well, tastes nice and seems to have all the good things.

I'll update about the protein as I use it more and more.

No comments:

Post a Comment