Friday, November 4, 2011

Post weights rant

Last night I did weights, the new routine that I have worked out - that covers the majority of the body.
I am still working at 10kg for the most part, 5kg for iron cross and I bumped the tricep extensions up to 17.5kg for the first set and 20kg for the second.

Not huge weight - I know that - but I want to build the strength back up to a reasonable level before plying on the weight.

I can probably do most at 15 - 20kg without to much hassle, but again I want to start right and not cause myself an injury.

So my workout was good, had a chat with another geek in the gym which was good, but I just don't understand the mentality of some others.

Picture this:
Small gym / weights area for a corporate organisation so it's not a big money making gym.
Limited equipment but still a decent range.

Two guys working in the smith machine, doing purely bench press.
Taking turns to do 80kg bench and talking each other up, being derogatory to the other people lifting.
(Myself and the other geek - who is really just starting out and lifting lightish)

The comments themselves pretty harmless, but it's more the snickering and laughing happening because two other people are working light, without knowing why - they just assume that both people are weak.

So I would just like to put a bit of a response to the two gym douchebags:

  1. There is more to gym work than bench, even if you are doing isolation work - you probably want to work the opposing muscle group as well so that you achieve the best results.
  2. 80kg is not really a heavy bench, sorry to burst your bubble and mess with your swagger - but it's really not that heavy. Most males that have been lifting for a while are able to bench their body weight and usually more on top of that. (Some just don't realise that because they don't put their mind on the game)
  3. Laughing at my workout: in my 40 minutes in the gym, I worked every muscle group including my core while you worked your chest and biceps. Great work.
  4. If you want a challenge feel free to do my weights session, then we can do some cardio work a few rounds of sparring, then more cardio. All that time on the bench will certainly pay off here.
In short - I hate gym douchebags - they are unfortuantely everywhere - even at your work gym :(
Boo!

No comments:

Post a Comment